Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Thankful Tuesday

1. Freedom- The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. It was the first holiday Kevin and I shared after we started dating, and it was the first holiday tradition we established as a couple. But as I wait with eager anticipation to go eat dinner in downtown Homewood with my husband and then watch a beautiful display of Fireworks, I can't help but think of how much we owe to the military families who are sacrificing so much so we can enjoy these special pleasures. I am filled with an abundance of thankfulness this year as one of my best friends in the whole world has returned from a tour of duty. I am so proud of her and her drive, ambition, and selfless serving of her country. While I am enjoying celebrating tomorrow, I will remember to be thankful for Kate and all those like her, all those who came before her and all those who will come after who will answer that call. The freedom we have is not one to be taken lightly or for granted and while I am enjoying my holiday traditions, I want to thank those who have allowed each of us to be able to have them.



2. Studying- I am thankful for this opportunity. I am thankful for my education. I am thankful for so many of those who have invested in me along the way. I am thankful for my husband who goes to work everyday and patiently and lovingly comes home to a wife who may or may not have showered today and may or may not have anything in the refrigerator besides a jar of mayonnaise.

3. Hot weather- I'm thankful for this hot weather we are having because even though it may be uncomfortable, this force of mother nature is one we have some control over. I'm thankful for a mild tornado season this year and that even if we can't beat the heat, we can make it a little more bearable with a glass of ice water, a cup of frozen yogurt, or a dip in a swimming pool.



4.  Disagreements- I am thankful for disagreements be them with Kevin, my family or my friends. They say that when you don't care about someone, you won't expend time and energy disagreeing with them. I am thankful for Kevin who has taught me that disagreeing doesn't mean quitting, fighting doesn't mean leaving, arguing doesn't mean walking away and nothing looks quite so bad when the sun comes up in the morning.

5. Bad Corgis- I am thankful for my mischievous little pup. I am thankful for his energy and his playful spirit. I am thankful for his unconditional love. I am thankful to see those two little brown eyes peering out the window, without fail, every time I drive up. I am thankful that he is always excited to see us when we come home, no matter how cranky, grouchy or tired we are or how many days it has been since we took him on his last W*A*L*K. I am thankful for the lesson in tough love we have learned as we worked on training him. Lastly, I am thankful for all the laughter and joy he brings to our lives without even knowing he is doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment